There are several histories published and numerous articles on our Historical Society's website detailing the arrival of our first founders in 1828 up until the centennial celebrations in 1938. The Village, first named McNeal’s Landing, then Milan and finally, Hampton, was founded by two young men who arrived by river to harvest the dense forests of hardwood trees. Hampton became a regular steam boat stop. The saw mills that sprang up provided fuel, raw material for household items and building materials for the pioneers heading west using the Hampton ferry to get across the river to new territories.
The bike path through Hampton is one of the most scenic on either side of the river. The path runs roughly parallel to Route 84.
The first attraction and favorite stopping place along the bike path is Heritage Park. Many drive to Hampton, park their cars and use their bikes to travel north as far as Cordova, Illinois. The rolling, open park land with a large pavilion located along side the river, runs beside the Hampton Heritage Interpretive Center. Inside the Center is a large carved Gingko tree commemorating not war but, the industry and courage of the pioneers settling this area and the Native Americans that lived here.
Welcome to the Village of Hampton, Illinois. Through strong community leadership, the Village has strived to promote public health, safety, and the general welfare of its citizens and guide the continuing growth and expansion of the Village while protecting its natural, economic and scenic resources. The citizens of Hampton are proud of the small town atmosphere and the fiscally responsible government that provides excellent municipal services without creating an undue burden on its taxpayers. Hampton has evolved into a quiet bedroom community that is without a doubt the best kept secret in Rock Island County!